2018 Season started…

After an awful winter with very low temperatures, snow in March and enormous amounts of rain, we have done what we can for the winter refit – the items still on the list will have to wait!  St Brigid now relaunched and back on her mooring.

Whoops! Updated

Thanks to Hamble Propellers and their excellent service, I had a replacement propeller within two weeks – it fitted perfectly.  Due to excessive tip chatter I had opted for a smaller diameter and pitch.  Instead of the original 17″ x 10″ we had before (I could never reach the maximum RPM of the engine) we replaced it with a 16″ x 8″.  We can now achieve the revs we should and it is MUCH smoother than before.

Shiny new propeller!

Whoops! a two bladed, three bladed propeller

Whoops! – Left the mooring this afternoon and within a few seconds their was an enormous bang from under the boat, followed by massive vibration.  I initially thought that we had picked up a rope or net on the propeller.  We motored slowly to a pontoon and I donned the wetsuit to take a look…..

Not a fouled propeller, but a blade missing.  This WAS a fixed 3 bladed propeller, removed, inspected and cleaned last winter during the refit!

I dried the boat out and removed the offending article – I carry a puller on board!

By coincidence our friends Debz and Gerry had a two bladed spare propeller, the right shaft diameter, rotation and taper.

Result!  The pitch was miles out, but it allowed us to motor slowly back to our mooring the following day.

Cherbourg to Lymington

Our forecast to come home across the channel showed sw4/5 occasionally 6 later, so a good direction with the possibility of it getting a bit breezy and bumpy during the afternoon.

We left the berth at 06:30, through the entrance at 06:55 and headed north.  The s/w wind was about a 3 at the time so we motor sailed.  The wind freshened at about midday to a good force 5, so the engine went off and we had a glorious sail.  St Brigid did what Rival’s do so well in a strong breeze – leaned to the wind and charged along.  The wind strengthened further about 2.00pm and I furled away some rolls of the genoa.

We rounded the needles at 17:20 and sailed up to Lymington

Log – 20,152.9    Trip – 67.9    Sea Temperature – 21*C    Engine hours – 5080.4

Dielette to Cherbourg

After a six fifteen (am) start we left the harbour and set our course for the Alderney race.  Absolutely no wind again!  Last time I did this particular journey I picked up a lot of foul tide just past Cap de la Hague, so this time I went more towards Alderney and then further north to keep in the favourable tide.  It worked and we saw speeds over the ground of up to 12.5 knots (that is with 6.5 knots of tide) for a lot of the way.  It was only during the last hour to Cherbourg that the tide started to diminish but it helped us all the way.  The log showed only 21.7 miles travelled “through the water” but the GPS registered over 33, hence 12 miles of tide advantage.  Motored all the way.

Arrived Cherbourg entrance at 09:55

Log – 20,084.8    Trip – 21.7    Sea Temperature – 18*C    Engine hours – 5070.8

St Helier to Dielette

We moved out of the marina whilst there was still water over the sill at 07:30.  Refuelled (it is virtually half the UK price in the channel islands) and moored on the holding pontoon for a few hours.

10:45, we left the holding pontoon and left St Helier.  I had decided to accept some foul tide at the beginning of the journey, to make our ETA at Dielette a little earlier than if we had left with the perfect tide.  Otherwise we would have been arriving at Dielette at about 21:00.

Corbiere Light from the south.

As normal there was virtually on wind.  It was a North Westerly force 1 (about six miles an hour)  Not enough to sail so motored all the way.  Arrived Dielette 17:35.

Log – 20,063.1    Trip – 38.0    Sea Temperature – 19*C    Engine Hours – 5066.5

St Helier

We have stayed put today.  We paid our dues with the harbour office and asked for recommendations for a good Indian restaurant.  We wandered off, did some shopping, found booked the restaurant and then had some lunch at a beach side cafe at St Aubin’s Bay.  Here are the views we had whilst we ate.

Granville to St Helier, Jersey – again!

The sill at Granville opened at 12:47 today and we were over it and out of the harbour by 12.55.  As per normal the wind was the opposite direction to the forecast and we motor sailed all of the way to St Helier, arriving at 18:20

As we passed north of Isle Chausey, we saw two separate groups of dolphins, one of which came very close to us to investigate, but they didn’t stay very long.

Dinner is on, sweet and sour chicken with noodles – it is smelling good already.  I have also just poured us both a beer – our fridge is so good the beer is virtually frozen in the tins!


Log – 20025.0    Trip – 30.1    Sea Temperature – 19*C    Engine Hours – 5058.7



Langrolay-Sur-Mer to Granville

We left the mooring at Langrolay-Sur-Mer at 07:45 and motored down the river Ranch to the lock at the western end of the tidal barrage.

After the lock operates, the traffic on the main road all comes to a halt so that they can lift a road bridge to allow yachts with masts through.

We exited from the lock and sailed for about 10 miles towards Granville.  The wind then eased off so on went the mother, arriving 13:15

  • A yacht approaching the sill at high water

Log – 19994.5    Trip – 23.0    Sea Temperature – 19*C    Engine Hours – 5052.9


1 2 3 7